Thursday, April 29, 2010

Still Going Strong

I had a rough weekend. I didn't plan ahead and got too hungry. I also had my grocery trip cut short so I didn't get all the food I needed to have good options in the house. Anyways, Monday was back on and I had a great eating out experience. Lisa was a huge help so I owe it to her. The whole family went to P.F. Chang's for dinner. Now that I am paying attention it is amazing how fast the calories can get out of control when you are at a dinner like that!!!! Lisa and I decided beforehand that we were going to get the lettuce wraps as a meal. They are low in carbs and calories. The rest of the family ate "family style" meals. It was really hard to pass up fried chicken and fried rice. But I am proud to say that I ate 1 veggie potsticker and 3 lettuce wraps. I also had 2 bites of the birthday cake we brought. Not too bad for eating out. Lisa found out the lettuce wraps are 100 calories each. I think I managed the whole meal with 450 calories...which is amazing considering what it would have been if I wouldn't have been paying attention.

I am so proud of myself in the "treat" department. I am really focusing on only eating when I am truly hungry. It isn't a familiar feeling but I am becoming more acquainted with it. Saturday I ate ice cream and it was okay. I was totally in control and I got a small serving. But Sunday I was eating to feed something other than my body. I was very hungry after church and I heated up left over pizza for my family. I ate that instead of making myself something healthier and just kept eating it because it was there. Then I made cookies to take to a dinner and it was all over. Dane had to work so I was feeling a little stressed about that. That was all the excuse I needed, I guess.

The rest of the week has been much better. I have discovered a new favorite snack...edemame in the shell. I like to get the small bags that you can just pop in the microwave and they steam in there. I put some salt on them and yummmy! They are perfect for the late afternoon when I am really hungry but just need something to hold me over until dinner. Yesterday I was feeling super munchy. The snow in April didn't help my mood at all. I didn't eat anything that bad...just too much of everything. But by dinner time I wasn't really hungry. Instead of just eating because it was "time" for dinner, I listened to my body and told myself if I was hungry in a couple of hours I would eat something small. I drank lots of water and never felt hungry the rest of the night.

Small victories...that is what I am going for right now. In other news, I haven't lost any weight but I am not discouraged because I feel really good. It feels so much better to be in control of myself. It is still tempting every day but overall it is getting easier to resist temptations.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

You are so great. You are my inspiration!! We are on the right track! IT's so good to have support! love ya!

Stef said...

Woo hoo, you are doing awesome! Isn't it liberating to eat only when you are hungry? Keep it up. I'm back on track (again:) this week too!